Thursday, August 14, 2008

Where Will You Find the Day's Beauty?


On the buffet line in a Virginia hotel
A tall young man with kind eyes says
My brother was nine, normal, happy.
And then a tumor exploded in his brain.

I said: I'm sorry.
I was putting broccoli on my plate.

He said: No. Don't be.
He has given me gifts beyond diamonds.
He is blind and deaf and we don't know how much he's there.
But he's there.
He is. He's there.
He makes me laugh.

I said: thank you.
I was holding the salad tongs.

He said: No. Don't thank me.

An hour later, on the drive home, the setting sun hung above the interstate like a red hot tear. The evening commuters sped home in their little bubbles. Trees hung over the highway, bowing as we passed, promising soft endings.

I've tried many ways to say this.
But I think he said it better.
There's love, and there's love.
And there's nothing else.

Travel well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I can go to bed with a tear in my eye - happy/sad...moved, that would be.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was in Dublin when my husband texted me to tell me my 18 year old friend died in a car crash - fell asleep at the wheel after working the night shift.

Started crying in the middle of a shopping mall where an unknown Irishman stopped to console me. I gave him a hug, he hugged me back and we continued on our respective journeys.

People come in and out of our lives...some touch us and remain.

Then, there are writers like you who make sure those special people touch others...and remain just a little bit longer.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home