Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In Their Dreams


Olivia and Otis meet on the shore of a purple ocean. Behind them, the world burns in its own selfishness, and shivering travelers light their own clothes on fire to stay warm. Stars drift across the sky like drunken bees.

Olivia: Otis how are the waves?
Otis: Rough
Olivia: Is that your canoe? Is it fiberglass?
Otis: Bark.
Olivia: I see. Did you sand it at least or is it still –
Otis: Rough.
Olivia: (shrugs) Well, then. What should we do? Should we go across? How far is it? What lies on the other side?
Otis: (wags tail; gazes in her eyes with intense friendliness)
Olivia: (sits down, puts head in hands). Shoot, I’m asking a dog for advice.
Otis: (sticks his head on her knee). My darling. Watch this: (the sun emerges from the purple ocean, wearing a crown of pearls). And this: (A mermaid crests, blowing bubbles). And this: (the mountain bends down and pulls a cookie sheet out of the oven). You see? Don’t be afraid. There is nothing to fear. We will cross whatever needs crossing and end up exactly where we need to be. You will manifest the love of God, the beating heart of all creation, at every moment, whether you are aware of it or not. Everything is ok.
Olivia: Are you sure?
Otis: I have never been more sure. Okay? I’m just going to lay here and twitch a bit. Makes the dream more interesting.
(He does so. Meanwhile, the dead come back to life, and walk over a dune holding hands and singing a song from High School Musical 2. Zac Efron takes off his shirt, builds a sand castle and then is swept out to sea by a rogue wave.)
Olivia: Why, yes. I see it now. I see it now! Yes, Otis. Oh, I like this dream. I love you!
Otis: Got any biscuits?
Olivia: (checks pockets) No.
Otis: Ah man, you’re breaking my heart.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"We will cross whatever needs crossing and end up exactly where we need to be." Here's to hopin'!

There is nothing sweeter than a sleeping child unless accompanied by a huge sleeping Otis dog. (cute...the ruff stuff, you know, I read your blog after I posted mine...bizarre)
Jodi

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home