Sunday, August 21, 2005

Expectations

Michael Chorost, who earlier this year wrote THE book on cochlear implants (It's called Michael Chorost: THE book on cochlear implants -- no I'm kidding, it's called Rebuilt) sent me an email a couple days ago, part of which I want to share with you.

First, about his book, Rebuilt. It is a memoir of his experiencegetting a CI, and does a remarkable job of explaining the technological wonderworking of the device in a clear and exciting prose. Though it doesn't have a little brother being picked on mercilessly, Rebuilt a great, fascinating read and you learn so much about hearing and technology. It gave Sam and I a ton of help as we moved forward towards our surgeries and I know that my parents, Becky the film director, and Ben have all found it interesting as well.

Chorost took note of something I wrote in my second blog entry, which was in response to a question I received --- "When do you know if it works?" I wrote that in around two months, I thought we'd have a good idea: Chorost's response:

"Careful. Three months post, I was a very, very frustrated camper and nowhere near my present performance levels…But, you know what? Nothing I say is going to sink in to you. You will just have to learn in your own way. A year from now you'll be saying to me, "Now I understand. I couldn't have understood before, but now I do."

Which leads to an old gripe: why does wisdom so often sound like bad news?

So, I'm going to try and remember to be patient. I think as a long term goal, to get back to where I was with hearing aids a couple years ago, and maybe even a step or two past that, would be plenty. But really, if I can hear anything without the headaches I've gotten from sound the last few years that would be enough. And if I can't that would be enough too, only quieter. This perspective comes from another bout of vertigo this afternoon while watching the Yanks blow a lead.

Sam, meanwhile, has had no side effects, and is back to casing chicken joints and chasing down the perfect BMW.

Turn on date is in a couple of weeks. Blog entries will be intermittent until then, but global warming will continue. Enjoy the summah.

16 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Hey, hold up brotha. I haven't thought about a bmw since Thursday. That's right everybody! I'm cured!!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Did someone say "chicken"? No?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

"Chikin" perhaps?

4:31 PM  
Blogger UncaJonny said...

Guys,
as to the eyeglasses problem, my friend Fiona suggests (really) a monocle.
Why the hell not?

6:30 PM  
Blogger UncaJonny said...

By the way, since it is a family trait to be a pain in the ass, I'll mention that it should have been: "It gave Sam and me... "
Now, wasn't that helpful.

On a different matter, I have long enjoyed using the line: "I see dead people...socially"

6:37 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Josh, how do you sleep at night? No, really, I mean which way do you lie down? I find myself getting bored with lying on my non-surgerized ear, but lying on my coch-ed ear is a definite no-no. Lying on my back is out too as it puts too much pressure on the coch still. Ditto the front cuz, well, its hard to breathe.
-Sleepless in DC.

7:37 PM  
Blogger UncaJonny said...

sam
how do you get bored while sleeping? anyway, get a rubber donut shaped pillow and then you can sleep on your front and still breath.

10:10 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

I am thrilled that you are both well enough already to debate chicken restaurants and sleeping positions online.

I'd call you brave again but Sam will hit me. Also, next time we film we should all wear monocles.

9:18 AM  
Blogger UncaJonny said...

Ah, recognition of my existance at last. OK, I'm leaving all my fortune to Bex (maybe Zev too).

How are you two feeling today?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

up and down still, but better on the whole. jonny, you agree with how hillel's voice sounds on that phone message -- or am i just hearing things?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Jonny, did you see my question about chicken places?

6:24 PM  
Blogger UncaJonny said...

josh, i agree with anything nasty said about my brother.
sam, did you see my answer: 97th and amst. (el malecon i think it's called)

11:45 PM  
Blogger AbbySilber said...

Expectations are a funny thing...sometimes you expect a movie to be awful (Kung Fu Hustle) and you're right, and it sucks. But sometimes your movie partner (who will remain nameless) expects the movie to be great, and it sucks (sorry that's just a fact, not an opinion). So I had to check out the blog since it is THE talk of the Scarsdale power walking circuit. I'm glad to hear/read that you're both doing well.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

abby, sorry, but i have no idea what you're talking about.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Bankable Poetry said...

Bankable Poetry feels like a fly on the wall at a Swiller family reunion.

2:08 PM  
Blogger UncaJonny said...

who the hell is Breakable Pottery?
hi abby

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home