Sunday, August 21, 2005

Expectations

Michael Chorost, who earlier this year wrote THE book on cochlear implants (It's called Michael Chorost: THE book on cochlear implants -- no I'm kidding, it's called Rebuilt) sent me an email a couple days ago, part of which I want to share with you.

First, about his book, Rebuilt. It is a memoir of his experiencegetting a CI, and does a remarkable job of explaining the technological wonderworking of the device in a clear and exciting prose. Though it doesn't have a little brother being picked on mercilessly, Rebuilt a great, fascinating read and you learn so much about hearing and technology. It gave Sam and I a ton of help as we moved forward towards our surgeries and I know that my parents, Becky the film director, and Ben have all found it interesting as well.

Chorost took note of something I wrote in my second blog entry, which was in response to a question I received --- "When do you know if it works?" I wrote that in around two months, I thought we'd have a good idea: Chorost's response:

"Careful. Three months post, I was a very, very frustrated camper and nowhere near my present performance levels…But, you know what? Nothing I say is going to sink in to you. You will just have to learn in your own way. A year from now you'll be saying to me, "Now I understand. I couldn't have understood before, but now I do."

Which leads to an old gripe: why does wisdom so often sound like bad news?

So, I'm going to try and remember to be patient. I think as a long term goal, to get back to where I was with hearing aids a couple years ago, and maybe even a step or two past that, would be plenty. But really, if I can hear anything without the headaches I've gotten from sound the last few years that would be enough. And if I can't that would be enough too, only quieter. This perspective comes from another bout of vertigo this afternoon while watching the Yanks blow a lead.

Sam, meanwhile, has had no side effects, and is back to casing chicken joints and chasing down the perfect BMW.

Turn on date is in a couple of weeks. Blog entries will be intermittent until then, but global warming will continue. Enjoy the summah.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

up and down still, but better on the whole. jonny, you agree with how hillel's voice sounds on that phone message -- or am i just hearing things?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

abby, sorry, but i have no idea what you're talking about.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home